Q: What should I do if I’m involved in an accident?

  1. Check for any danger; if passengers of the vehicles involved or other bystanders could be at risk of further injury, dealing with this needs to be the first priority. When vehicles collide, they often are still in traffic where there is the possibility for further collisions. Ensure no dangerous or flammable materials were involved in the accident.
  2. Check for any serious injuries and render assistance; do not attempt to move any seriously injured person unless they are in immediate threat. The acronym DR ABC is often taught in First Aid, standing for Danger, Response, Airway, Breathing and Circulation. Have someone call for help as quickly as possible giving details of the location and the injuries sustained.
  3. If no one is seriously hurt, where possible move the vehicles out of traffic and into a safe position on the side of the road
  4. Exchange information with the other driver, ensuring you swap such details as:
    · Names and addresses of drivers
    · Names of registered owners· Vehicle make, model and registration numbers
  5. Make note of any other details about the accident:
    · Details about the date, time, location and any other relevant information (such as vehicles involved that did not stop)
    · Names and addresses of any witnesses to the accident

Q. Do I need to have the police attend?

A. If anyone sustained an injury, or if you believe there was a breach of the road rules that lead to the accident, it is advisable to have police attend.

Q. Do I need to report the accident to police?

A. You must report all accidents where someone is injured or killed. If the total damage bill is less than $3000 or the only damage is to your own property, you are not required to report the accident. If the accident occurred in South Australia, you can report it online here . More details about reporting an accident can be found here.

Q. What should I do if I am involved in an accident?

A. By law, as the driver of a vehicle involved in an accident you must immediately stop and give assistance to any injured person. You must give your full name, address and registration number to other drivers, injured persons or owners of property, which may have been damaged in the accident. If you don’t own the vehicle, also give the name and address of the owner. You must obtain the name, address and registration number of other vehicle/s and or owner/s. You should also try to obtain the names and addresses of any independent witnesses. To ensure you have the correct details, you should write them down yourself. If possible, write them down from their driver’s licence and get their telephone number. Make a note of the time, date and location of the accident and draw a plan of the scene. Inform your insurance company as soon as possible. Most companies now have an after hours contact number.

Q. Do I have the right to choose the repairer?

A. Every insurance company has their own requirements and generally they do allow you to select the repairer. Specific Prestige are authorised repairers for most insurance companies.

Q. How should I choose a shop to repair my vehicle?

A. Properly repairing today’s vehicles is a complex task. It requires precision measuring and pulling damaged components to tolerances measured in millimetres. It also involves restoring paint work with factory like finishes in a climate controlled, dust free environment. And of course, accomplishing this demands highly trained professional technicians who are experts in their craft. At Specific Prestige, we have the staff and equipment to meet all these requirements so you can be sure your vehicle is repaired to the standard required.

Q. Must I notify the insurance company before repairs are made?

A. Yes – Most insurance policies require that you notify your broker or the company, lodge a claim or report, and tell them where the damaged vehicle may be inspected. Even if the other party agrees to pay your damages, it may pay to make a “report only” to your own insurance company.

Q. Who is responsible for the cost of repairs?

A. It pays to check with your insurance company.

Q. Who is responsible for the repairs made to my vehicle?

A. The Repairer – That is why it is important to select a reliable repairer. The right facility will be properly equipped and staffed to restore your vehicle to pre-accident condition.

Q. Who should I contact if there is a problem with the repair?

First, the manager of the shop. – Responsible shop owners and managers stand behind their services and provide warranties which cover their work. They will work with you to solve the problem. If your problem is not resolved contact the claims manager at your insurance company.